Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Smoothies, Snow Cones, and other Fun Summer Beverages

I've always been a snow cone fan.  I patronized Corky's Country Store all the years they sold Italian Ice- pineapple with blue raspberry was my favorite.  When I was pregnant with Grace Louise, all I wanted was a snow cone and couldn't seem to find a decent one.  I'm definitely repeating that craving this pregnancy, but glad to finally have access to a few snow cone craving remedies!

If you've had half a conversation with me in the past five months, you know how I feel about smoothies!  Green smoothies have been a great addition to my diet since I've been pregnant and a sure way for Grace Louise and I to get plenty of greens everyday.  I alternate kale and spinach, with the occasional baby romaine from our "garden" (which amounts to two containers of romaine, okra, a pepper plant, and some herbs).  Of course, the taste of the greens is hidden by a combination of yummy ingredients: banana, blueberries, strawberries, OJ concentrate, pineapple juice, coconut oil, coconut flakes.  I've tried a few other things, flax seed, almond milk, yogurt, even peanut butter... but haven't been happy with the taste/texture of these added ingredients.

While a Green Smoothy is yummy, and definitely healthy, it's not exactly a snow cone, right?!  So, I had this genius idea to create a snow cone out of frozen watermelon.  Perfect!  No sugary syrup, nice refreshing taste.  Just freeze watermelon pieces, pop them in the Ninja, and instant snow cone!  Grace Louise LOVED it and has been begging for one since!  You can also thaw any 100% juice concentrate and use as a syrup over snowed ice.  Sugary yes, but at least it's from fruit and not the other garbage found in regular snow cone syrup.  




No comments: