Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Bad Dreams

Grace Louise recently had her first bad dream, although new evidence of loud owls in the middle of the night may indicate that it wasn't in fact a dream... nevertheless, she was frightened.  I heard her on the monitor crying for me upstairs and could tell pretty quickly that she was truly scared.  I went upstairs and there she was curled up in her bed with her hands over her ears, shaking, and crying!   I scooped that poor baby up in my arms, like any mom would do, and began to assure her, "It's okay, baby.  Mama's here.  It was just a bad dream.  Shhhh."  She asked, "Why are the owls so loud?"

Oh poor, sweet, precious child... a nightmare with crazy, screeching owls... that sounds scary even to me!

I continued to rock her and pray over her.  Lord give her peace.  Thank you that we have nothing to fear. That you will never leave us or forsake us.  That you are for us.  Thank you for hearing us when we call upon your name when we're afraid.

Her little body melted in my arms.  Complete trust as she received the words as truth.  And mostly, she trusted my presence and assurance in this time of fear.

How our Father longs to gather us under his wings, like a tenderhearted mother hen gathers and protects her chicks.  Longing for us to trust in Him.  He is trustworthy, after all.  Longing for us to believe His words concerning us.  He is believable, after all.  That our fear of life, of worries, of trial, would similarly melt away in His presence.

How often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were not willing.- Matthew 23:37

No comments: