Monday, October 20, 2008

A penny saved is a penny earned...

Today was a monumental day for me, which I am soooo excited to write about. Today marked the first day of a new era in saving for the Hurst household. I am offically a coupon shopper... not just any coupon shopper might I add... A lifetime member of the http://www.couponmom.com/ association!!! And I tried out my skills for the first time this afternoon. Now, as can be expected for a first time coupon shopper, I ran into a few bumps along the way and learned some pretty important lessons.

Lesson #1: Buy One Get One Free does NOT mean Buy One At Half Price. At least not at Publix or Winn Dixie.

Lesson #2: Two For $4 means, well, Two For $4...OR One for $2. (Why do they have to be so complicated??)

Lesson #3: Present ALL coupons at time of purchase, lest you have to go back into the store, return the items you forgot to use coupons for, and then repurchase them with the coupons. Oops.

Lesson #4: Keep coupon organizer in your purse at all times, lest you drop it back on Aisle 2 or leave it in the car.

I encourage everyone who has an extra 30 minutes- 1hr a week to try this out. It really does work! Go to http://www.couponmom.com and sign up (for free). It gives you access to the Winn Dixie and Publix sales and tells you what sale items also have coupons to help you save BIG! It even tells you which coupon circular and the date it came out in the Sunday paper! That way you are getting the item on sale and adding a coupon. I got Pepperidge Farm garlic bread for $.80, Breyer's ice cream for $2, frozen veggies for $.50, and two packs of dog treats FREE! It's crazy!!! No more full price for me! My total savings today was $54.78!!! True, you have to spend money to save money...but not very much. I only spent $63.61!

"Who was my inspiration," might you ask? Of all people, Oprah. Yes, God will use donkeys...and Oprah. A couple of weeks ago, her show was about saving money day-to-day and her guests were inspiring advocates of "less is more" and coupon shopping. I've always hated consumerism, but get sucked in by the excessive advertising and materialism that plagues our world. Before I know it, I'm buying things that I don't really need and spending more money than I realize. It's amazing how quickly we will shell out money to pay for something without ever thinking about the price... Can I get it cheaper somehow? With the extra money, I could ease the financial burden on my family or buy an extra can of soup for the needy.

Until next time... I'll be buying $.49 toothpaste, $.24 toothbrush, and $.39 speghetti noodles at WalMart. Happy Savings!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know! Thanks so much for telling me to watch that episode of Oprah! I'm a lifetime member of couponmom.com now too! I love seeing BOGO that I already have a coupon on!!! :) Thanks for your tips too, i was wondering about all that. If you have any more tips, feel free to send them my way! I've also been going to a fruit/veggie stand about a mile from our house in Babson Park to get bananas super cheap, and other produce too, you just have to have an idea of what the prices are at the store... although i am planning on telling him the prices at winn-dixie for grapes (for example) and see if he'll sell to me at their prices... worth a try right? :)

~ Heather Grenier