Saturday, February 28, 2009

Grace and Sanctification Part II

Now that I'm really getting into this study, I'm wondering if I bit off more than I could chew!! ;) God has so much to say on these subjects and so many wonderful revelations to reveal! This is a mere organization of my thoughts...


At some point in our walk with Christ we begin to mature. We grow from babes drinking spiritual milk to ...well, toddlers eating baby food? Do we ever get to steak and potatoes? I'm not sure. The point is, we grow. God doesn't expect perfection from us. As a matter of fact, as I like to say, failure IS an option. Failure is inevitable, which is why His mercies and grace are new everyday. Nevertheless, through the teachings of the scripture, God makes it clear that He wants us to live pure and holy lives; offering our bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God— for this is our spiritual act of worship. (Romans 12:1) This is not to be confused as payment for salvation. As my pastor reminds us, our desire to live a life pleasing to God is a response of what He has done for us and our love for Him, not as a way to earn what has been freely given. Acceptable living before God (sanctification) is possible because of the power of the Holy Spirit in our lives. Perfect living, however, is not. If it was, the sacrifice of Jesus, as the scripture says, would be for nothing. So, if even our best works are not good enough to obtain for us eternal life, yet God's freely given grace through faith is, then why even strive towards right living? "You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature ; rather, serve one another in love." -Galations 5:13

"Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as servants of God".
-I Peter 2:16


The Parable of the Talents (paraphrased by me)
It's like a man who goes on a journey, but before he leaves gives each of his servants some talents (dolla bills). He gives his best worker (let's say) $5,000, the next best worker $2,000 and the last worker $1000. While he was gone, the first two servants invested their money, earning back double what they started with. The last worker buried his money in a jar. When the boss man returned from his trip he took inventory of what the workers did with his money. He commended the first two for their wise thinking and rewarded them with more money. The last servant, however, was scolded for not using what was given him and his money taken away. Everyone who has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him.


"And I could not speak to you as to spiritual people but as to carnal, as to babes in Christ. I fed you with milk and not with solid food; for until now you were not able to receive it..."
-I Corinthians 3:1


"When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things."
-I Corinthians 13:11


"Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize."
-I Corinthians 9:26-27

No comments: