Friday, December 20, 2013

I can't get no... satisfaction.

Okay, I don't know how I managed to start with that line, but so be it.

I finished a book today... gods at war by Kyle Idleman. Fitting, considering the Holy Spirit's gentle nudge in the past month that encouraged me to evaluate my own search for contentment. This book was perfect confirmation!

The tagline of the book, reads "defeating the idols that battle for your heart."

As long as we live in this world, we face a never-ending struggle with idols/things/relationships/thoughts, could I even say homes, all vying for our affection. I wrote about this recently in another post. And if not for understanding the nature of the battle, I might even feel condemned about revisiting this topic. But the fact that I'm here again, confirms what Paul says in Romans 7 ... I serve the Law of God with my mind but with my flesh the law of sin. My flesh will continue to seek a perverted satisfaction in even the seemingly good things of this life.

Thankfully, this is no surprise to our creator God, who remembering that we are dust, has much compassion on us. His patience and mercy is great. (Psalm 103). And perhaps most encouraging of all, He will never let us come up successful in this search. One thing we don't have to worry about is screaming, "Score!" in our search for contentment apart from His presence. We will NEVER find true satisfaction in our appearance, in passion, hobby, or profession, in relationships, in being the best mother, or in anything else! By His existence and design, it simply can't happen- and last. If we are leaning in to hear His voice, we will eventually be drawn back to the Daily Bread, to the Well That Does Not Run Dry, to Living Water, to the only One who can satisfy. And when we rest there with Him, we wonder why we ever ran off in the first place.

So it is to Him I give my thanks, for reaching down and saving me, for not leaving me to my own devices, for tirelessly calling me back into His presence, for restoring my soul. Thankfulness for contentment for joy.

O to grace how great a debtor, 
daily I'm constrained to be!
Let that grace now like a fetter,
bind my wandering heart to thee.
Prone to wander, Lord I feel it,
prone to leave the God I love;
Here's my heart, O, take and seal it,
Seal it for thy courts above.

No comments: