Sunday, December 1, 2013

The butcher, the baker, the disciple-maker

We love mother goose nursery rhymes in this house. Grace Louise can finish most of the rhymes and admittedly, when I'm reading them aloud, I pride myself in being able to recall them by memory too ;-)

But this post isn't about nursery rhymes at all. It's about making pint size disciples.

Though I have no idea where, I read a wonderful article recently about the ministry of mothers at home with their children. The writer validated the work and calling of moms and spoke against the common assumption that real ministry only happens away from the home. I so needed to read this. 

Every day the picture of my ministry in the home becomes more clear. Before becoming a mother I certainly looked ahead to staying home with my children, though I had no idea what raising them, teaching them, and keeping a home with them would actually look like (messy?).  I wish I could see the picture in my mind 4 years ago. One thing is for sure, I did not know it would be like this. I had it far simplified and far less meaningful. It didn't occur to me that I would be raising up disciples. 

Jimmy and I are responsible for training up (at least) one woman and one man of God to effectively go out into the world and make more disciples of Jesus Christ. If I have given anyone the impression that this life and what I'm doing as a mother is for any other glory, forgive me. I have misrepresented the mission. Everything we do provides an opportunity to intentionally point our children to Jesus or reveal their need for His matchless grace...the way we show love and affection, giving firm and loving discipline, teaching them to think well and deal with life's challenges, to be humble, diligent, obedient, compassionate, and serving. We really have a meaningful task here, moms! A weighty one, worthy of our greatest efforts, intention, and focus. And definitely worthy of being called a full time ministry position.  






I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth. -3 John 1:4

No comments: