Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Barn Games



I haven't posted much about our experience as horse owners, mostly because I haven't taken many pictures at the barn.  I'm usually busy keeping my kids alive or vacationing from them on a nice long trail ride. 

Remember Honey? Well we became her official owners in April and are boarding her at a local stable. Grace Louise is honestly equally interested in the barn cats, so this investment is mostly for me. And I truly do enjoy it. 

We practice a natural horsemanship approach, trying to make our interactions with Honey mutually enjoyable. One of the games we play with her is called The Catching Game. This game establishes a bond between horse and rider and promotes loyalty. Here's how it goes down… we join the horse in the arena and remove the halter and lead rope. Someone else joins me and standing at opposite ends of the arena, we encourage the horse to get on the move.  I represent the sweet spot for Honey. The other person, and all other space in the arena, can provide no security or rest for the animal. So as the horse runs around, trying desperately to find a place of rest away from her sweet spot, her efforts are futile. We keep her moving by swatting a training stick and string, until finally she turns to her owner, makes eye contact, and comes in. I back away slowly, and she's committed. I let her come to me, reward her with rest, and from that moment, she is glued to my side. With no strings attached (literally) she follows me at any speed, in any direction. Ah ha! She says. By my master's side is the place to be!

Oh my goodness if you can't already see the spiritual parallels…

After the first day of playing this game with her I could not stop thinking of what God was speaking to my heart. You may run around, attempting to find security in this or in that, but you will always come up empty. And you will feel like you are doing exactly that... running. I love you too much to allow you to find rest and wholeness apart from me, God says.

Isn't that a great picture? God wants our eyes on him, our trust in him. He wants our affections and our loyalty. He wants our hearts. And He won't relent until He has it all. Oh, friends, isn't he most deserving?

Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and you will delight in the richest of fare. -Isaiah 55:2

No comments: