Saturday, April 7, 2012

Easter Week Thoughts...

So, no big Easter activities for us today... Grace Louise and I headed to the would-be Farmer's Market in town this morning, except that it wasn't today... it's next week. (I knew that!) Instead, we painted a darling caterpillar at the Beans and Brushes Cafe before heading to join Pops, BeBe, and Aunt Lindsey, our much anticipated guest this week!!! Grace Louise spent the day and night with them, while Jimmy and I joined our CrossRidge Church family for a viewing of the Passion of the Christ movie downtown at the youth coffee shop.

I've seen this amazing movie before, and am still overwhelmed at the enormity of all that Jesus did for me. This time, however, I walked away with my mind pondering a few other messages...

First of all, Jesus was all God AND all human. In the movie, as in the scripture, Jesus asks for "this cup" to be taken from Him. Jesus did not want to die on the cross, as He faced the prospect of this torture with much grief and torment. It wasn't as though because He was God, he didn't experience the pain as any human would while enduring beatings and crucifixion. Jesus knew the pain He would have to bear and did it for the joy that would follow.

Seeing the character of Mary in the movie and her response to Christ's suffering reminded me that Jesus, though conceived of God, was born of a woman who loved him dearly as her own. He was someone's son! Someone who surely pained at just the thought of him hurting. Oh how her heart must have broken seeing her baby boy taking on the sin of the world. Pure agony is all I can imagine.

I was driving home from the movie tonight, so full of thought, gazing at the Full Passover Moon. My sweet baby boy leaping inside of my womb over and over. (He is SO very active!!) I cradled my belly thinking, though not the Messiah, my own son will have to be brave, courageous, strong... an adventurer, a leader. For this is the image of God men bear. I felt this mama bear pride swelling up in me and I realized, I am proud to have a son, and I already love him so much!

No comments: