Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Distressing Project- Learning Center

We moved into this new house in July and ever since I have been patiently awaiting a few perfect pieces of furniture, rugs, decor, etc. to add. I have not been successful, mostly because I don't have much money to spend and am depending on yard sale finds to scratch my decorative itch. One particular need was pressing, however. I needed some kind of bookshelf and child's table arrangement to create a sort of "learning center" for Grace Louise. I have all these craft and learning supplies for her and they are stored inconveniently all over the house, which results in not using them often enough.

I saw potential in this desk/hutch at Papa Hurst's house while doing some family cleaning-out a couple weeks ago. I absolutely love turquoise (and burnt orange) distressed furniture and thought I might give it a go. I'm happy with the results and have already started organizing and using this new really useful piece of furniture. Plenty of high spaces to store "mommy only" supplies and a few drawers that Grace Louise can access herself.

I almost forgot a BEFORE picture... this is the desk or bottom half of the hutch.

And the (almost) finished product! I still need to get some matching storage baskets or rustic tin bins for the shelves. It is in my living room, so I'd like to conceal the preschool contents best I can.

Our first craft at the "Learning Center". When she gets older, the desk part of the hutch might be better suited for working/crafting, but for now we're repurposing this end table, which is the perfect height and size for a kid's table. I think I might paint/distress it to match the hutch... next project.

Pretty pink and orange tortoise! We saw six gopher tortoises on our bike ride one morning last week, so naturally we talked and crafted tortoises and burrows for a few days. Fun stuff!

2 comments:

EricaG said...

Wow! Your project looks fantastic!

Joy said...

Gorgeous! It's a great piece. I had no idea you had this kind of itch ;)