Friday, August 30, 2013

Learning to think

Create, build, explore, problem solve. I want my children to do these things. I want them to be thinkers. To know how to think, not just what to think. (Bear with me... I am taking the next year to really learn home education methodologies and sort of form my own philosophy about these things. So I'm sure I will be uber passionate, and say seemingly profound things- but not really- along the way. You know, just whetting my homeschooling palate.) 

I created an engineering toolbox for Grace Louise and commissioned her first project a few days ago. 

Create! 

"What do you want me to create?" she asks. "Can you help me? What is it supposed to look like?" 

My wide open suggestion threw her for a loop, but I simply wanted to her to be creative with no restrictions or guidance. I provided her with tools (different types of tape, clothes pins, rubber bands, scissors, paperclips, glue, alligator clips) and materials (full access to recycling bin- which happened to contain some really cool things this week), plopped it all down in the middle of the living room floor, and told told her to make anything she wanted. 

Her invention was a pretty darn awesome hat! I praised her efforts and told her how wonderful this thing was that she made! I modeled it, which she loved, and pointed out that we had a problem... it wouldn't stay on my head. How can we solve this problem? What can you add to your invention to make it work differently? (a new assignment perfectly disguised). Her end result included a safety chin strap made with rubber bands and balloon string. (A Happy Birthday balloon, mind you, that Uncle Bubba graciously wore at his birthday supper Sunday night).

We are made in the image of God, and God happens to be the author of creativity. 

God is clearly creative (have you seen a sunrise lately?) and we are clearly creative in his likeness (we fly in big metal birds, cook amazing food, invent, draw, paint, sculpt...) 

The heavens are telling of the glory of God; and their expanse is declaring the work of His hands. 
-Psalm 19:1

And He has filled him with the Spirit of God, in wisdom, in understanding and in knowledge and in all craftsmanship. -Exodus 35:31

So here she is thinking, creating, and making her mama very proud!



No comments: