Monday, August 12, 2013

Last (and first) day of "school"

I had a lingering post... "Last day of school" and since I clearly didn't get around to finishing that story in good time, I'm combining it with this sweet picture of Grace Louise proudly standing by her 1234. Remember the stamp chart? Well, we resurrected it and I know one little girl who can hardly wait to earn her 20 stamps for a special date with mom and dad!



We are gearing up for the school year-- homeschool co-op, MOPS, fall activities, and adjusting to not having as many friends and family available during the week. This gearing up happens to involve a few household changes and some increased responsibility for my growing girl. The joy of being home with your children is that they can be comfortable in their jammies (okay... I can be comfortable in my jammies) all day if that is fitting. This lackadaisical routine can also leave you at 3pm wondering where the day went and ordering your child to finally brush her teeth. ... and so... starting this week, Grace Louise is taking responsibility for accomplishing not one, not two, not three, but FOUR important tasks (oh yes!) in a timely way each morning. And she is exceeding my expectations! She calls it her 1234. Make my bed. Put on my clothes. Brush my teeth. Do my chores.

Along with more structured learning and (1234) more responsibilities, we will also be rejoining our co-op friends in the fall! We're looking forward to extra curricular learning time focusing on nature, art, critical thinking, and physics. A year ago, we joined Roots and Wings Homeschool Co-op, who kindly opened their group to aspiring homeschool mothers with preschoolers. We love our friends (the moms and kids) and are looking forward to meeting every Friday at the Ridge Audubon Center in Babson Park beginning September. Last year our group was blessed to use the Olmstead House at Bok Tower. The gardens provided a beyond-beautiful backdrop for learning, and we had three productive terms, nurturing the inquiring minds of our little ones, growing in friendship, and refining the purposes and intent of our group. Ahhh lookey there... a great segue to my lingering last day of school pictures.









No comments: