Sunday, September 9, 2012

Fourth Trimester

I've been trying to figure out the past few weeks if I really do have a tougher postpartum recovery experience than most women, or if plenty of women share the same struggles and just don't talk about it.  Either way, I think I deserve to be able to name this time... the fourth trimester.  

Following James H's easy birth, came a much more difficult recovery.  I had immediate pelvic issues (symphysis pubis dysfunction- which I struggled with towards the end of my pregnancy) that made it painful and difficult to walk in the hours after birth.  My chiropractor made a house call that night, bringing me some pelvic pain relief which has since improved drastically!  

I also have a muscular tear in my pelvic floor that has required extra healing time and left me with more than uncomfortable swelling and inflammation during the 2nd and 3rd weeks postpartum.

It's still much better than after Grace Louise's birth... this is what we say.  You know, keeping things in perspective.  

Honestly, though, as much as I would have loved to be out and about sooner, this place of resting and healing has brought its own disguised blessings.  Lots of snuggle time with my new precious baby- and bonding time for the whole family.  Jimmy has been so available to us and we've loved having him around.  Mr. Mom he calls himself.  Although, now that I'm feeling better, he is ready to resume his former role...

The hands and feet of Jesus have been so evident in the physical support through meals and helping from family and friends.  I will never ever ever go see a new mom and baby without bringing food and cleaning a room!  I am praying HUGE blessings of returned favor on all those who are supporting us during this transition!  

God certainly keeps me relying on Him.  In the past 6 months I have journeyed through reading Ann Voskamp's 1,000 Gifts and started my own thankfulness journal.  Oh how my eyes have been opened to accepting all that God brings to my life, including trials.  I've been encouraged not just to pray Lord, protect me from this, keep me from that.  But instead Lord, I need only more of you.  And however He brings more of Himself to me, I will take it.  

Lastly, I can't write about the Fourth Trimester without including some pictures of my lovely placenta, which adequately nourished my baby boy for 9(+) months!  With help from my mom, I processed and encapsulated the placenta in the days following the birth and have eagerly taken them daily, hoping that it will now nourish my own recovering body.  






1 comment:

betty said...

Praise God you had a normal recovery. I am sorry to hear about the pain in your pelvic area. On the one hand, I don't have anything against moms taking in their own placenta, but it's kind of naive. A lot of mothers have been healed naturally sans eating their own placenta. But, if that helps, I will be really glad to try it out on my next pregnancy. Keep us posted and rest well for your body's recovery and your baby.