Monday, April 13, 2009

Mission 1st Trimester: Accomplished!

I'm so happy to be able to finally write this post! We have conquered the first trimester! Today marks the beginning of Week 13 and our little jumping bean is well on his or her way to looking less like an alien and more like a human! For obvious reasons, I've resisted blogging on the events, milestones, and really funny stories of the first weeks of pregnancy... so just to recap, the baby has grown so incredibly much from the time of conception, that if he/she continued to grow at this rate he/she would be like the size of a 2 story building at the end of 9 months! I'm sure it would be hard to find clothes to fit a baby that big...so thank God things are starting to slow down a bit. Baby pretty much has everything, in terms of organs and body parts, that he/she will need, but we're still working on the proportion thing. According to WebMD, "The head is still disproportionately bigger than the body, but the rest of the body is starting to catch up. The face is starting to look more human, with eyes moving closer together. Toes and fingers are clearly separate, and ankles and wrists have formed. External genitalia are becoming visible. Intestines are shifting into their proper place, too." Even though I can't feel it yet, the baby is moving all over the place! He/she is enjoying that olympic size swimming pool before things start getting cramped. I haven't had an ultrasound yet (won't until 20 weeks), but I love looking at youtube videos of 3D ultrasounds that other moms have submitted. I'm amazed that even though a 13 week old fetus is so incredibly small (about 4") it's so developed and active!

I'm especially thankful that "morning" sickness (which was rarely in the morning) is pretty much a thing of the past. I'm not sure if that is a mental-behavioral response, or truly due to medical reasons. Either way, YAY!!! As my uterus is moving up out of my pelvis, my southern organs, particularly the bladder, are breathing a sigh of relief. I'm only getting up once in the middle of the night to pee = more and better sleep. (I've been reminded that excessive urination will soon return in the third trimester).

Here is a 3D ultrasound pic of a 13 week old fetus...not Hurst baby, but they probably look really similar :)

2 comments:

mama to many said...

YEA! I can't wait to see you next week...Laura told me to get those maternity clothes to you because she saw you in spinning! :) don't worry, they are coming!

Valerie Cutrer said...

You have been in my prayers I have my Mom praying for you and Jimmy as well. I love getting updated on your blog. Can't wait to see ultrasound pics of Baby Hurst! Take Care, Valerie