Thursday, April 23, 2009

Earth Day - Riverwoods Trip

My goal was to post a wonderful Earth Day message to all my blogger friends yesterday, but I was honestly just too pooped to do anything! Mom and I joined our fellow Ridge Rangers (a volunteer group that works to protect the Florida ridge ecosystem) for a clean up day/canoe trip at the Kissimmee River research station called Riverwoods. We arrived early in the morning and got busy clearing out invasive, exotic species that were growing up around the education center. We trimmed up the native species and before too long, had the place looking quite spry. (I wish I had a before/after photo to show you!)

A quick briefing on the Riverwoods Center and Kissimmee River Restoration... Florida Atlantic University, partnered with SWFMD and the Kissimmee River Restoration Project, manage the property east of Lorida on the Kissimmee River. They use it as a base for research scientists who are studying the health of the restored Kissimmee River. As I'm sure most of you know, the Kissimmee River was channelized in the 1960's, which was a major "bad call" for the environment. In 1992 restoration efforts began to bring the river back to its orginal form and restore health to the ecosystem. The final dam blow-up is expected to be completed in 2013.

I teach Environmental Science everyday (well, not exactly everyday, but you get the point) and nothing compares with getting out there in nature and experiencing the beauty of God's creation for yourself. I must also say from experience, that the best way to get involved and make a difference in conservation/preservation is to do exactly that...get involved. Get your lazy butt off the couch and do something! :) Here are some pictures of our day...hopefully you will learn something along the way.

Starting off on our canoe trip. This is actually part of the original Kissimmee River that has not dried up. It has no water flow because of daming upstream, but is surprisingly relatively healthy. When the river is completely restored, this view will change. Leased cattle pastures, which currently border each side of the river, will be flooded and broadleaf marsh will take it's place.


I'm not much of a bird lover (unlike my other Ridge Ranger friends, who are bird FREAKS!), but I figured I'd pretend like I was and take this picture. Someone told me to tell my blog audience that this was an immature blue heron, but it's not...just a cow bird. Pretty picture, though, huh?

Others on the canoe trip. Gotta love the cow up ahead checking us out.
Mom and I with our Ridge Ranger leader, Jim. He works so hard to organize weekend events for the group to participate in. We took this picture for Uncle Ed. Recognize this guy??

No comments: