Saturday, March 23, 2013

what.a.gift



I know... cutest face ever, right?!

I seriously thought I'd never forget, but in three short years, I can hardly see GL's baby face in my mind's eye! Yes, growing up is bittersweet for mamas, but I've recently taken pride in seeing my little girl growing in every way and gaining independence. She often reminds me, "I can handle it, mom." Trotting on the horse, cleaning up the table after breakfast, putting away her own dishes, babysitting Bubby in her room while mom works in the office. "I can handle it."

A few weeks ago, while nursing the baby in the wee hours of the morning, I noticed on the video monitor that GL wasn't in her bed. A second of panic struck before I saw matted cotton hair reappear as she sat on the edge of the bed, attempting to crawl back in her footie pj's. Instead of peeing in her pull-up, she had taken herself to the bathroom! And when getting dressed in the dark proved to be too much, she simply found new pajamas and solved her own problem! What a big girl! I had a moment- right there at 3 in the morning. A proud mama smile.

I am seeing the rewards of intentional parenting. I love the person my baby is becoming. She can still pitch a good fit, especially at nap time, but her heart is softening to the things of God. Genuine efforts toward obedience, a desire to serve, quick repentance, and a new found willingness to pray aloud.

Lord, in raising my children, remind me of the bigger, Kingdom picture, lest I sorrow over what is actually your remarkable plan for their lives.


No comments: