Thursday, November 1, 2012

Halloween Fun (never thought I'd say that!)

Well, maybe that's a bit misleading... I had tons of fun dressing up and trick or treating as a kid.  Except for this one year... I was convinced that trick or treating was the devil! and launched an anti-trick or treating campaign in the 5th grade.  At least one of my friends skipped out on the previously adored tradition, (so sorry, Brook) and I myself fell victim to peer pressure.  I couldn't resist the call of candy.  So sad.   

The reason for my Halloween abstinence as an adult is not so legalistic.  My understanding of grace and freedom in Christ allows me to see this and similar issues in a different light.  Unlike the Pharisees who erred in creating laws upon laws to help them obey laws, Christ desires for us to walk in freedom, obeying His word and loving people, not spending our time creating blanket rules. In Christ, in certain areas, we are free to embrace and free to restrain.  Romans 14:1-23

Halloween has an interesting history, although most people who participate in the holiday enjoy the commercialized candy and costume-centered version (which is way better than the appease-the-evil-spirits-by-setting-out-treats version).  Nonetheless, the "scariest" part of Halloween, in my opinion, is desensitizing people to the spirit realm.  

With an opportunity to serve in the Lake Wales neighborhood that arguably gets the most trick-or-treaters, Jimmy and I decided to get our heads out of the sand and give coffee, bottled water, hot chocolate, cookies, and of course, candy... all in the name of Jesus.  It was for His glory that we would love on people, be nice to their kids, offer them bug spray, give them yummy treats, and invite them to church.  And we had a blast doing it!  

Grace Louise, wearing a last minute Micky Mouse costume, served with a loving heart.  We protected her from the spirit of fear and reminded her frequently of our mission to serve and love.  

So if you’re serious about living this new resurrection life with Christ, act like it. Pursue the things over which Christ presides. Don’t shuffle along, eyes to the ground, absorbed with the things right in front of you. Look up, and be alert to what is going on around Christ—that’s where the action is. See things from his perspective. 
-Colossians 3:1-2 (MSG)


2 comments:

Joy said...

Details! I need details of this fun looking and potentially missional (?) event.

The Hursts said...

Oh Joy, you beat me... I was still writing when I posted the pictures! (Still trying to figure out mobile blogging from my iphone). We had a great experience last night! Headed over to read your Halloween post now :-)