Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Why Home Birth?

Gearing up for our lovely birthing time in the next days or weeks, I realized that many of my close friends and family might not know that we have chosen to have a home birth.  Grace Louise was born at a birthing center in Lakeland.  Two of the midwives from the birthing center have since opened their own home birth practice.  We trust these women completely and wanted to continue under their care for this pregnancy and birth, and so explored options with them early on.  Because our home in east Lake Wales is so far from even emergency response, and especially from obstetrics care, we decided to rent a home in Winter Haven for the birth.

A home birth, but not at our own home.

So, why go through the hassle of ensuring a home environment for our birth rather than just delivering at the hospital?

My answer may shock you.  Safety.

As a low risk, healthy mother, I strongly feel that I would be putting me and my baby at a greater risk for negative physical and emotional complications by going to a hospital. Birth is a natural process that when left unmanaged, unfolds beautifully and with rare complication.  I am confident in my body's God given ability to birth children without intervention, and unfortunately, the hospital environment with all their poking, prodding, intervention, and active management of the otherwise natural birthing process, is not at all conducive to the experience or end result (which is more than just a healthy baby) that I desire.

But isn't this risky?  What if something goes wrong?

[Keep in mind, I am writing this from my own thoughts and acquired knowledge.  There are many thorough, credible sources of information and research regarding the safety of home birth, which can be found with a quick google search.]

I recently read an article regarding the research results from a study, basically acknowledging overall better outcomes for both mom and baby in home birth experiences.  Less intervention, less trauma to mom and baby, fewer drugs administered, greater breastfeeding success, better bonding experience... the list goes on.  This is only one of many studies with similar results.

So the answer is, home birth is less risky in most cases.  And in the case where something does go wrong, our midwives are not singing Kumbaya in the corner.  They are trained medical professionals who are equipped to handle many emergency situations (hemorrhage, resuscitation, etc.) that may arise for mom or baby.

I am absolutely thankful for medical obstetrics care when truly needed.  I have several friends and loved ones who have needed and benefited from life-saving hospital care during their births.

Bottom line, a woman should birth where she is most comfortable and feels safe and confident.  For me, even considering the post-birth trauma that I experienced with Grace Louise, this is out of the hospital.  I am praying and prepared for a simple and lovely home birth for my family and our new son.  And God's grace will surely be sufficient for however the details play out.

4 comments:

Joy said...

I really want to hear the details of the rental house...how you're making it a peaceful, comfortable environment, etc. Message me if you want :)

The Hursts said...

We know the family who owns the home that we will be using... so its not just a completely random rental home. The house is fully furnished- somewhat of a vacation style home- with a pool, amenities, beds, etc. It's on a lake, so lots of natural beauty and peacefulness already. We have been to the house several times already, taking our birth supplies- and my last doula client delivered there so I'm familiar with the environment. Really a perfect place :-) I enjoy peaceful spa-like relaxation music, so this is something external, along with the waterbirth tub, that I will use to create a peaceful, comfortable environment.

Joy said...

Very cool :)

EricaG said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on home birth. I'm praying that you have the peaceful, beautiful birth that you would like. Although my home birth was a surprise, those memories are the most treasured memories of my life. I'll be thinking of you!