Saturday, July 21, 2012

Pregnancy Update- 37 weeks

I haven't blogged much about this pregnancy... no doubt I find this experience, just like the first one, fascinating, miraculous, and surreal.  I just have plenty of daily distractions in caring for Grace Louise that send the time whisking away.  My EDD (estimated due date... because we know they really are just estimates...) is three weeks away and I feel like we were just sharing the news!  Time is flying!

In one of my last pregnancy updates, I mentioned my struggle with Restless Leg Syndrome.  Symptoms seem to have improved as my magnesium levels have come back up, and sleep has been much better too... until now...  insomnia!  Baby moving around.  Lots of Braxton Hicks contractions through the night that keep my belly hard and uncomfortable.  Frequent urination- need I say more? Nesting urges that I find hard to suppress even at 3 in the morning.  I've tried Benedryl on and off, but it loses effectiveness after a couple of days.  I'm trying to nap in the afternoon, or at least lay down and relax, especially after restless nights.

I'm still teaching my yoga class on Wednesdays, only feeling the effects of being so pregnant in the past two weeks.  I aim to continue teaching until I give birth, modifying as necessary :-)  So what is that?  Two?  Three more weeks?  I hope so :-)

My pubic bone and pelvis has been very sore for the last month.  As it gets ready for birth, the body produces a hormone called relaxin that allows the pelvis to separate and make room to birth the baby.  This also means that my pelvis is susceptible to painful misalignment and other discomfort from old or overuse injury- of which I have both.  I've been seeing a great chiropractor who is certified in Webster Technique and am getting relief from weekly adjustments.  I'm so thankful to have Dr. Mike as part of my prenatal and birth team.

The baby, however, seems to be in an awesome position for birth.  Very anterior, giving my belly a nice, round basketball shape.  I'm hoping for an August 7th birthday that he can share with his daddy.  How sweet would that be?  The III and the IV both born on the same day.  Then again, having your own birthday is nice too... so earlier would be good!?  August 1st?

The"nursery corner" of our master suite is almost finished... stocked and ready for caring for sweet Baby James H.  Clothes are washed and sorted.  My bag is half-way packed, and I'm only waiting on a few more essentials to arrive in the mail.  Things seem more simple this time.  I know what is really needed and what is not.  No dresses in the picture for baby boys... that has really thrown me for a loop. Like, what in the world do they wear besides onesies???

I'm looking forward to experiencing labor again, hopefully this time having a more joyous, peaceful, and alert immediate post-partum time.  I can't wait to hold this sweet boy in my arms, love all over him, and then share him with a few other special people I know :-)

The element of sibling excitement and discovery, as I shared with some guests at my shower, is one of the things I'm looking forward to the most.  We are still not sure if Grace Louise will be present at the birth.  She has been so involved in my prenatal care, coming to all of my appointments, helping the midwives check the heart "beep" and doing her own check-ups at home with her doctor's kit.  We've talked about the upcoming birth, how she was born in water too, and she has visited the house where I will give birth in Winter Haven.  I think given the right circumstances, her presence at the birth could be wonderful.  There are several things to consider, though, so we will see!

2 comments:

EricaG said...

Emily, I'm thinking of you and praying for a beautiful birth and of course, a healthy baby for your precious family! Watching your daughter love your new son will truly be one of the greatest joys of your live (even if it takes a little bit of time).

EricaG said...

*I meant "life." :/