Friday, September 25, 2009

The List

Bucket lists, grocery lists, to-do lists... some people are just "into" list-making. I am one of them. I have a list of short term and long term goals, grocery shopping lists, lists of things I know how to cook, a list of all the home improvements I'd like to see done on our house (Jimmy hates that list), and weekly and daily to-do lists. And if any of you come over to the house after Baby Girl is born you will see a list posted to the front door- "Things you can do while you're here besides hold the baby" list. (Seriously). Now, I've got a new list. "Things to do before the baby gets here" list.

I shared my list with my doula and midwife earlier in the week and they both responded with a few sarcastic remarks like "yeah, baby girl will be so upset if all her books aren't arranged on her bookshelf when you bring her home". I know, I know. If all these things on my list aren't accomplished by the time she arrives, the world won't end- and baby girl won't insist on being returned to the birthing center until I have it all together. BUT... if I could get all these things done, that would be AWESOME! And if she decides to come after her due date, I'll have plenty of things to keep me busy while I'm waiting.

Matter of factly, one of the items on my list was to post pics of the Gator game to my blog... CHECK! See how fun that is?! If there were no list, there would be no opportunity for such a sense of accomplishment. I received great advice to delegate some of the items on my list- so now I have a list for myself, a list for Jimmy, and a list for my mom. (I think my mom likes the challenge of the list. Jimmy?...not so much, although he is being a good sport).

One of the most important items on my list is to enjoy the last few weeks of pregnancy I have left. I'm making time for things like napping, reading, and enjoying a Starbucks coffee and really trying to be present in the moment instead of wishing this time away. I've resolved to work at the things on my list diligently, but slowly, and to be content with wherever I am. I realized yesterday that I'm probably going to really miss being pregnant. After all, this has been such a special journey for me and once Baby Girl is here, I'll have to share her with everyone else!

Until next time... I'll be crossing off a few things from my list. Coming up soon: pics of the nursery and office remodel!!!

No comments: