Thursday, May 7, 2009

Desperate Mom Acts

I just committed two of the most common desperate mom acts...with my dogs. Jimmy is coaching a ball game tonight, so I'm here by myself with "the girls" (Jada and Millie, our dogs). For the third day in a row we have forgot to buy dog food. (Can I get an amen, anyone?). I can only imagine how this situation is going to get worse when we add an infant to the picture. Anyway, for the third night in a row I've had to get creative with a dog food substitution. That is Desperate Mom Act #1: forgot to thaw something out for dinner and no groceries, so throw together some 1/2 way nutritious food for your kid. I was making grits, eggs, and bacon for myself so I decided to cook a few extra pieces of bacon for the dogs. (That's even better than dog food, right?). But no mom can give her child a candy bar for dinner and feel good about herself (candy bar is to kid as bacon is to dog), so I decided to raid the frig for a few items to balance the meal. In the end, we had two bowls of leftover chicken salad (complete with nuts and fruit), doggie treats, and bacon. I put the food down for the hungry savages and watched as they both picked the savory bacon pieces off the top. No surprise. After they both looked up at me simultaneously with their hungry, puppy dog eyes and then back down at their bowls (as if to say, "you can't be serious, lady") I had an ingenious idea. Pour the bacon grease over the chicken salad and dog treats. Desperate Mom Act #2: disguise food that your children will not eat by covering it with some kind of delicious sauce (i.e. Hershey's or ketchup).

So for all you moms out there...am I on the right track? Should I seek immediate help or embrace the desperate mom survival instincts?

No comments: