Monday, January 19, 2009

"Teach me Lord, Teach me Lord, to wait"

It's funny how God works sometimes, isn't it? I've been in a slump lately- which is not my usual New Year mentality, but nevertheless, 2009 did not start the way I planned. As probably way too many of you know, Jimmy and I are eager to get pregnant again and planned to "get it on" New Year's eve and enter the new year with a happy, healthy, and SUCCESSFUL pregnancy. Unbeknownst to me, God's plan was not exactly the same. It also didn't help that January 13th, a difficult day (a difficult month), was the due date of our first baby. So, anyway, where was I?...in a slump. So, one of my great friends in Christ (love you, Kristy- what a joy to be a tool in His hands) called me the other day for a short but inspiring and loving chat that left me in total awe of our Lord and how much He loves me. She said the words of a popular Christian song, which are also from a verse in Isaiah, "our strength shall rise as we wait upon the Lord." When I got off the phone with her I began to sing the song and tears began to flow. God was meeting me in my pain right then and there. It was like he was wrapping his big, comforting hands around my heart. And in that moment I was sitting in my Daddy's arms letting Him wipe away every tear. I realized He was there all along waiting for me to rest in his comfort.

The story gets better from here... I decided to add the song to my blog playlist, but wasn't sure of the exact title or artist. I googled the words quoted above, clicked on one of the search results, and was led to the blogspot of a random family who posted the lyrics of the song in response to a great trial in their lives. Back in February of last year they lost their newborn baby boy at birth. The son that she carried and nurtured for 9 long months was not able to come home with them...and my heart ached for her. I try to not minimize my own pain, but it sure puts things in perspective when you hear something like that!

I am waiting... and learning what it means to wait upon the Lord. I've heard a few different sermons on that popular phrase from the Bible, but to me it now has a whole new meaning. To wait on the Lord is to rest in the moment of trial or uncertainty, knowing that He is ultimately in control of all things, working all things for my good, and that in a matter of His timing He will show himself strong and faithful. It's like watching a game that is head to head, waiting for the ending because you know your team will be victorious! And as I wait, my strength will rise.

-Isaiah 40: 27-31
Why do you say, O _____ (put your name here), and speak O _________, "My way is hidden from the Lord, and my just claim is passed over by my God"?

[I like to read this next part really loud with great enthusiasm ;)]
Have you not known? Have you not heard? The Everlasting God, the Lord, the creator of the ends of the earth, neither faints nor is weary.

His understanding is unsearchable. he gives power to the weak and to those who have no might He increases strength.

Even the youth shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall.
But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. They shall mount up on wings as eagles. They shall run and not grow weary. They shall walk and not faint.

1 comment:

mama to many said...

Amen sister! Tears are streaming down my face as i read this post, knowing God's glory is being revealed...love you!!!