Sunday, January 25, 2009

Everywhere I go I see You

Have you ever known something, but you really didn't know it? Or you thought you knew it until you really knew it? Or thought you understood something until it ...okay, okay, you get the point. I'm doing a Bible study right now called "Left of Matthew"- really neat study on the highlights of the Old Testament. It appropriately starts with God creating the earth and it's fullness- a study on the first chapters of Genesis. I taught a semester of biology, environmental science, have been saved for a number of years, read the Bible, grew up in Sunday School...I should have a solid understanding of creationism, right? Not until I really knew it!

I've mentioned Job before in my blogging and think of his story often, particularly when everything in my life seems to be going to pot. What a man, right? To go through losing everything in your life (except your life) and never turn your back on God. That doesn't mean Job never questioned God or that he never cried out, "God, what are you doing??!!" If fact, he did...and God answered him. God answered Job with a series of questions that could be summed up, "Are you, Job, seriously questioning, me, God?" In a much lengthier version, God says, "Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth?...Who determined its measurements...or who shut in the sea with doors?" He almost sarcastically asks Job if he created and ordered this laundry list of things; if he knows the meticulous details of all of the creatures; if he can accomplish divine tasks like sending out lightning with his voice. I can hear Job now... "well, uh, uh, no, but, uh, no..." God was saying, "DUH!!! You aren't God; I am. And if I created all of these things, and master over them, what makes you think I'm not capable of mastering over the forces behind your problems?!" Great point, huh?

Okay, back to creationism...(women. we do that sometimes. belaboring the point.) So, the thing that really got me in that passage- God's answer to Job (Job 38-41) was how intricately he knew the animals. He talks about how He didn't give the ostrich wisdom or understanding, which is why she lays her eggs in the sand only covered by dust (an environment not conducive to successful egg hatching). And how the horse in all of its might and splendor, born ready for battle, is scared of a locust. (I'm sure many of us can attest to the spookiness of horses- bees, noises, trash on the ground- they're scared of anything that can't harm them ;) As I read these things and the many other details I found myself truly knowing for the first time. God really did create each of these creatures "according to their own kind". He knows what makes each of them different. After all, he designed their differences, their idiosyncrasies, their color, shape, height, purpose, life cycle, feeding patterns, behaviors... And creatures are just a portion of creation. He has a purpose and design for all weather patterns (which after teaching earth science really amazes me!)

I ended the first chapter of my new Bible study with a commitment to acknowledge God in His creation more. To remember that He created ALL of the things surrounding me and that His glory is revealed through each detail! With that in mind, I came to church this morning and a BIG grin swept across my face as we sang the following song. I looked for the lyrics on the Internet and came across this amazing video! I encourage you to take 5 minutes to watch it, listen to the words, and reflect on His greatness.

(You'll have to scroll down to my music box on the right and pause it in order to hear this song. And it might need a minute to buffer.)

No comments: