Monday, September 26, 2011

Renewing

Shortly before I was pregnant with Grace Louise I began having sort-of anxiety attacks- basically shortness of breath perpetuated by the very thought of the symptom. It went on for a month, until I was certain it was anxiety and learned how to deal with the onset of the symptoms. I never struggled with this again… until Friday. I wouldn’t say that I have a lot of stress in my life, by any means. I did notice, however, that I had been focusing a lot on my “to-do” list, allowing it to have reign over my thought life… What am I doing now? What needs to be done next? What is the best order to complete these tasks? How can I get more tasks done in one day?

Can you say OCD??? I think I have a more severe case of this, called OCDWT. OCD with Toddler.

I am very blessed this Monday morning to feel completely peaceful and content. After noticing the shortness of breath on Friday afternoon, I shut my computer, prayed, and spent the rest of the afternoon laying on the floor playing with Grace Louise, followed by a bubble bath (only somewhat relaxing with a toddler), an evening alone with my husband, a chick flick, and a fairly early bedtime. I committed the rest of the weekend to limited computer/technology use, lots of good company, and a Sunday of rest with family. I’m also rereading a book, Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World, that offers great perspective on balancing work, rest, and worship.

It’s true, folks. No one came and arrested me for failing to use each moment of the day completing things on my list. I didn’t die and I don't regret a second. As a matter of fact, detouring from the ordinary was refreshing! I am feeling recharged and refocused. Actually, I’m currently enjoying the breeze and glistening sun off the lake while GL is pretending to kill “dators” with an over-sized bubble wand. Who wouldn’t be relaxed, right?!

“And let the peace of God rule in your hearts…” -Colossians 3:15


No comments: