Thursday, January 20, 2011

A Book Review


"Grace Louise, don't make me count to three! One... two... two and a half... two and a quarter..."

If you ever hear that come out of my mouth, slap me, please!

Some friends of ours recommended a particular parenting book for Jimmy and I to read, and I couldn't be more intrigued by what was written in the pages. The book is called Don't Make Me Count to Three written by Ginger Plowman. A must read if you are aiming to parent your children Biblically. (I think the Bible would also be a good book to read in that case...)

Ginger presents scriptural truths on discipline and parenting, pointing out an important part of discipline that is often overlooked- encouragement to practice what is right. She speaks of reaching the heart of your child (not just the outward behavior), helping them to recognize sin, and ultimately pointing them to their need for Christ. She gives instruction and examples of Biblical reproof, offering a glimpse of how this works in her own family. The practical scenarios included in her writing make this book great for immediate application!

A parenting book isn't a parenting book without a discussion on "spankings". Ginger presents what the Word of God says about disciplining with the rod and when that is appropriate. Great insight in those chapters!!!

Perhaps the best part of the book is her Wise Words for Moms chart, which lists scriptural reproofs and encouragements relevant to several noted child behavior issues (complaining, stirring up strife, bragging, etc.) (The full version of the chart can be purchased separately on her website).

I would definitely not say that this book is full of common sense approaches. On the contrary, I have been challenged in using this method, as some of the ideas are not natural to implement. (And yes, Grace Louise is providing me with plenty of opportunities for correction at the tender age of 14 months!) I am still running over to the refrigerator (where I have Wise Words for Moms chart posted) and finding the recommended Biblical reproofs for her behavior. I have a feeling I will be referencing this chart for years...

2 comments:

Katy said...

Another one of my friends recommended this same book on her blog last year - I plan to start purchasing it as a gift for baby showers for friends. And hopefully someday for myself:)

Miss you girl!

The Hursts said...

Katy, girl! I've been missing you, especially since you haven't been writing on your blog lately! This book would make a great shower gift... I never thought of that. Grace Louise is already responding so well to the principles. She knows exactly what "obey" means!