Friday, November 21, 2008

Little Reminders

Ever since about 3 years ago when I was finishing up my Master's at Florida I've had this issue with my eyes, particularly the right one. The doctor said it was from using them too much...go figure! He said that I had gone one too many nights reading or looking excessively at a computer screen rather than the back of my eyelids. My eyes now remind me when they have been open too long, working too hard, and need some well earned rest. They get red, itchy, irritable, and dry- (reminding you of yourself, eh?). It is then that I know I must stop what I'm doing and get some shut-eye...literally.

God taught me tonight that the Holy Spirit does this too. When I have been "up" too long, busy, and have not taken the time to rest in Him I start to "itch" a little bit. I start to feel a little uncomfortable, uneasy, unfulfilled. Then I quickly realize that I need to go back to my Source, my bread of life. "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you." (John 6:53)

No comments: