Sunday, October 2, 2011

I am a friend of God!

To say I know the living God personally and that He’s my friend, must sound absolutely insane to someone who doesn’t believe.

In the midst of a trial or in the busyness of life sometimes I find myself forgetting just how approachable God is. I act as though He can’t possibly understand my frustrations or how I feel. I distance myself from His answers instead of drawing near, opening my heart, and listening. I crowd out His soft-spoken assurances with worry and what ifs. In doing so I miss out on true companionship- the chance to be comforted by the Great Counselor.

God wrapped His big sweet arms around me today and reminded me that He’s not only Sovereign God, He’s my friend. Oh, to be a friend of Jesus! There’s no friendship more safe or true. Fully understood. No words necessary. Fully accepted. No explanation needed. Fully loved. Just receive.

I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. – John 15:15

No comments: